Ruins of a railway bridge, Old Ghan Railway, South Australia. The Ghan railway was progressively built in response to a number of needs. These came from mining companies, graziers, wheat growers and later to ease unemployment.
The railway was abandoned in 1981 and by 1987 virtually all useful materials had been salvaged. Within six years the line looked like it had been abandoned for a hundred years.
One of the old Ghan Railway's most impressive bridges, Algebuckina Bridge, nearly 600 metres long, still spans the Neales river. August 2005.
During the planning of the line in the 1880s the South Australian government realised that the bridge need to span the Neale river flood plain need to be pretty substantial. The tender was let to a James Hooker, who owned the Lion Foundry in Kilkenny.
Construction began 1890 and was completed in January 1892.Because it was not ready for the opening of the Warrina to Oodnadatta section of the railway in January 1891 they had to use the temporary construction causeway. This clearly demonstrated the need for the bridge - it was flooded three times in 12 months, with the line being cut twice.
There is a rest area for travellers near the bridge.
More info here.
Copyright © Joe Mortelliti Photography