About fifty kilometres south-west of Kulpara is the small rural town of Arthurton, originally called 'Kalkabury', which was offered for selection in 1872. This site is where the first known invention and demonstration of the original Stump-Jump Plough, (called the 'Vixen') took place by its designer, Clarence Smith. The idea was never patented, resulting in many other farm implement manufacturers copying the concept over the years.
The local hotel was built in 1877 on a large corner block in the town center, and has always thrived, while the general store has shut down at times, only to be purchased by a new owner and re-opened. The school has been transferred to nearby Maitland, but in years gone by Arthurton had its own football club, golf club, etc, and still has an active tennis club.
From Arthurton one can travel north-west via the sealed Agery Rd to either Moonta, Kadina, or Wallaroo. This region is also being extensively tested for potential future copper-gold mining as the region is in the same basin as the former Wallaroo-Moonta copper mines.
Just at the southern edge of Arthurton one can turn left onto the bitumen and drive to Ardrossan, via the pioneer settlement of Petersville. Alternatively, one can follow the bitumen some 16 km to the larger town of Maitland.