Maitland is a popular community centre with a current population of about 1,000. It serves some of the richest farming families on the Yorke Peninsula, whose ancestors arrived to work on the original holding of Samuel Rogers' Ynoo Pastoral Lease about 1850–55. The old Ynoo ruins can still be found several km south of Maitland along the Yorke Valley Rd.
Maitland has numerous local community service clubs, a supermarket, bakery, hotel, car and farm Implement dealerships and numerous other shops. There is an extensive golf course, a modern hospital and medical care facility, an area school, churches, retirement village, and an all-weather airstrip. The Bulk Grain Storage area is on the southern edge of the town,
Maitland was proclaimed in 1872 and named after Lady Jean Maitland, wife of the First Lord of Kilkerran, who was related to the then South Australian Governor.