Copyright © Koole Imaging.
This very interesting aqueduct was built from 1913-1915 over the Barwon river, just south of Geelong. It was built to take sewage from Geelong to the treatment plant at Black Rock, near Breamlea. It was built by the Tasmanian engineers Edward G Stone and Ernest J Siddeley. The style was modelled after the steel Firth of the Forth bridge in Scotland, but was built of reinforced concrete.
Using the 'Considere' system of concrete reinforcement, cantilever trusses were built on fourteen concrete piers, with concrete girders between them, for a total length of 756 metres. The ovoid shaped sewer pipe was suspended underneath the girders. Cracks in the concrete appeared pretty quickly, and repairs were made in 1923.
The aqueduct was decommissioned in 1992, though it still remains there. It is in a state of disrepair, and there is no public access.